Sew Your Own ActiveWear (Melissa Fehr) - Pattern/Book Review

Last week I received a surprise early delivery of "Sew Your Own Activewear" by Melissa Fehr of Fehr Trade Patterns.  I had pre-ordered it, since I enjoyed sewing my own activewear and had purchased several Fehr Trade patterns over the past few years and always found them to be well-designed. 

If you don't already know, the book contains pattern blocks for tops and bottoms sized from XXS to XL.  Each of the designs in the book can be constructed by tracing and modifying the provided blocks. Normally, I do not like tracing, and I don't buy patterns that require it - ever. But I made an exception! (The book also contains info on general construction, fabric selection, garment care, etc.  Lots of good information.)

I made the Hoodie, which I'd had my eye on for a while.  I found some AMAZING merino/nylon/lycra fabric at a local specialty fabrics store, The Rain Shed. It is soft, and stretchy, and kind of spongey and I've never found anything quite like it before.  And it's perfect for the hoodie and would also work well for some of the other patterns in the book.
I cut a size XS for the top, based on the amount of ease I was going for.  The instructions for modifying the pattern blocks were thorough and clear.  Honestly, many of these patterns are a quick sew, so spending the extra time drafting the patterns didn't bother me too much.  

I don't have too much else to say about the construction. I used ribbing from my stash (originally from Mood) and foldover elastic for the hood facing (which turned out a little wobbly, but I haven't sewn much with FOE so that's just me).  I did shorten it by 3" to get the length I wanted - as drafted it would come down over your bum, for the average person.  I made it hip length. Results!!
 This is a pre-run photo. Post run my face is the same color as my shoes!

 The fleece and cuffs and FOE are all slightly different shades of black....of course!
I like the single kangaroo pocket!
I  messed up the junction of the hood with the zipper. It's not quite how it should be...However: Look how roomy the hood is! I have a big melon. Some hoodie patterns don't even fit over my head. This is roomy enough I could wear my woolie beanie under it if it were particularly cold and rainy.  

Side hood views.

If I have one feature worth noting, it's that this doesn't look great unzipped.  Behold:

It has a "go home you're drunk" look, doesn't it? But this is not a criticism: this is a book of activewear patterns, not athleisure.  When I'm running, I'm wearing this zipped. I wouldn't wear any hoodie flapping in the breeze, it's distracting and uncomfortable.  Just a note.

Overall, I like my new hoodie, and I'm looking forward to sewing more patterns from the book. (I like the other jacket! And the tights! And the top with the shoulder details!)  I would recommend it for those who already sew or are looking to get started sewing their own activewear. Happy Sewing!

Popular posts from this blog

A Carhartt-inspired jacket : (modified) McCalls 7638

Carhartt Canvas

Boss Blazer - Pagoda Shoulder Jasika!