KwikSew 3764 - Plaid 'n' Pleather Moto Jacket

Another one of my #MakeNine2018 projects completed - my plaid moto jacket.
Probably the most worn RTW garment I own is a faux leather moto jacket I got from ASOS last year, with the goal of eventually replacing it with a handmade version.  That plan was set aside when I came across this photo of a buffalo plaid-leather moto jacket, which moved to the top of the moto priority list.
I had planned on using Kwik Sew 3764. Kwik Sew is, for me, the best of the Big 4 Pattern companies in terms of logical construction and good instructions.  I decided to make version B, which is more basic, and save all of my zips and hardware for when I made view A in straight faux leather.

I cut a size S and did make a muslin - this is unlined, and I wanted a closer fit, so the S was perfect. Time to cut into my fabric: a gorgeous green wool buffalo check plaid I bought from Stitches Seattle when I was in town last October.  I remember they asked what I was going to make with it, and I told them "maybe a moto jacket", so the seed was planted back then.  For the facing I used a Fashion Weight Faux Leather from Mood Fabrics.

It was a straighforward sew - no alterations.  When topstitching at the end, I did a trial run on a scrap to see which side should be the top - this faux leather has a bit of stretch which can get very wonky when topstitching. I ended up sewing the leather side down and was happy with the result.  (Next time, I'd use a heavier weight faux leather, maybe like a vinyl.)


The inner line is wool side up. the far stitching is pleather side up and it's starting to warp. I know from experience!

My best plaid matching to date.

The stretch in the faux leather makes it misbehave a bit on the collar - not that noticeable depending on the lighting.

  
The full range of unzipped to fully zipped!

I added some topstitching along the shoulders and center back that wasn't in the instructions.
It's a bit boxy, I debated nipping it in at the waist or doing a sway back adjustment, but ended up leaving it as is. I may play around with the shape before the next one. And there will be a next one, probably not until fall.

Are you participating in MakeNine2018? If so, how is it going for you? Still sewing up wools or jumping into spring and summer?
Cheers!

Popular posts from this blog

A Carhartt-inspired jacket : (modified) McCalls 7638

Carhartt Canvas

Boss Blazer - Pagoda Shoulder Jasika!