Simplicity 8214 in Pumpkin Polka Dots

My eyes lit up when I saw this recent pattern release by Simplicity - I was super excited about 8214, which is a kind of retro-looking combo of top/dress/jumpsuit/pants. I have a couple of actual vintage dresses in my closet with a similar style.  I decided to start with view A, the below-the-knee dress.

For my first pass at it I wanted to use a cute but inexpensive fabric, so I chose this navy polka dot peachskin fabric from Califabrics.  Well, first I googled 'peachskin' - it's just a polyester woven, but it doesn't really wrinkle and has a very nice drape if you're open to polyester in your life.  And the orange polka dots are seasonal for fall.
I cut a size 12 based on the finished pattern measurements and I made a few minor changes to the pattern. It isn't very noticeable in the photos on the pattern envelope, but the front buttons down.  Since it fit over my head (like the Style Arc Holly blouse) I just lapped one side of the front over the other and topstitched it down.
that is a wrinkle not a wayward dart



I also didn't interface the facing (which i also omitted in the Holly blouse, it's just a preference). 
I lopped about 2" off of the bottom, the view A length was a little too long for me.

The fit was pretty much fine EXCEPT - the forearms were so tight I could barely raise my arms to tie the bow.  Not the top, near the shoulder or bicep, but the forearms - !?  I had to go back and let them out to 1/4" SA and they're still snug, so next time I'll have to cut them larger.  Up until this point I hadn't realized I had disproportionately monstrous forearms -
- but now I know. I'm admittedly curious to find out if anyone else has this issue - is it drafted small, or is it just me?

Other than the arms, I really love it.  I appreciate the detail in the sleeve finish, it's very feminine.
  It sews up pretty quickly especially if you've made that style of blouse before and are familiar with the process of installing the facing and then the bow.
Here comes Ringo. I'd pet him but the sleeves are too tight...
...that's as far as I can reach!
On my "to sew for fall list" - a version in this amazing bird rayon challis!  I also bought a few yards of this peachskin to make a spring version.

Popular posts from this blog

A Carhartt-inspired jacket : (modified) McCalls 7638

Carhartt Canvas

Boss Blazer - Pagoda Shoulder Jasika!