Big Bang blouse and a Sewaholic Pendrell

I know everyone and their mother has bought this panel chiffon from Mood
Galaxy Poly Chiffon Digital Panel Print

but I was a sheep and bought it too.  I wanted to make a simple blouse without a lot of seams to show off the print.  I had a Burda pattern that might work design wise, but I'd been having blouse issues lately. Basically, nothing fits over my huge head.  Another example - this sleeveless version of the Sewaholic Pendrell. I'd made the sleeved versions before, in knit. This time I used a poly crepe-de-chine from Califabrics.com. I cut a size 2, sewed it up, and then tried it on. I had to call Tim to bring a stick of butter to get it on over my head!!! (Same thing with Burda and that one HAD A SLIT AND A BUTTON ON THE BACK).

To go with my elephant-size head, apparently.
Also, there is a lot of ease in the Pendrell waist, which I don't love. I feel like its out of proportion with the bust.

So I decided to draft my own little pattern.  Something my head would easily fit thru. I made a test version with some inexpensive chiffon from Califabrics.com and then a couple of versions in crepe-de-chine for my cousins

PENGUINS!!! From Califabrics.com. It has a low scoop back, and deep armholes.
and then I finally cut into the galaxy chiffon. And here it is:




I gave this verision a low v-back, instead of a scoop. Technically, its reversible, I could wear the low-V in front.  I'm normally not a huge fan of flowy blouses - not my style. They're nice to have on a 'fat day' I guess. I would really prefer it to be a few inches shorter, but I hate to cut away the amazing print, so I left it at my hip.  I'm wearing it with a black ponte pencil skirt I made from Pamela's Patterns.

This process has made me learn I hate chiffon, by the way. I hate finishing it. I made a blouse for my cousin and tried to do a narrow self-bias binding and it looks like my cat chewed it. So this I just did a narrow rolled hem. Also, I normally wouldn't put a seam on the back but I wanted to center the panel on the front. The seams are French seamed. Quick and easy!


Popular posts from this blog

A Carhartt-inspired jacket : (modified) McCalls 7638

Carhartt Canvas

Boss Blazer - Pagoda Shoulder Jasika!