Style Arc Ursula Ponte Skirt - with Racing Stripes!

My quest for the perfect pencil skirt continues, this time with the Style Arc Ursula Ponte Skirt.  
Looks simple enough!

I ordered a size 8, which is close to my waist measurement. My hips/arse are more like a 12 in Style Arc sizing. Having to alter my Style Arc patterns is no longer a surprise for me.  I love their designs, but if you're not uniformly proportioned, prepare to make adjustments.

My fabric was a red cotton ponte from Mood fabrics, and for the side panels I used a black cotton/rayon/lycra knit, also from Mood.
Heavyweight, $8/yard!

To accommodate my booty, I simply cut the side panels twice as wide as they come in the pattern (they are a little narrower than than they look on the line drawing anyway).  I sewed it up, then added two darts in back and two small ones in front to fit it to my waist. (My waistband is only 1.5" instead of 2", because I used my 1.5" Fantastic Elastic). It's similar to the Pamela's Magic Pencil Skirt, only with side panels!

Only my butt requires so much darting in a knit skirt
This was very quick to cut and sew, even with the darts. Took a couple of hours. Here is the finished skirt:





Do the stripes make me look faster?! (I said faster, not fatter!)
My inspiration
I like this pattern and I think I'll make it again. The side panels make it easy for me to adjust it to my body without redrafting the whole thing, and they can be a cool accent.  This does use 3/8" seam allowances, which I love for knits, but just beware there isn't a lot of room for fit adjustments with a 3/8" SA.

I'm wearing my pink Colette Ginger skirt right now, and thinking that maybe I'll convert this pattern into a slim skirt. It fits perfectly at my waist and hips, I'd just need to alter the shape of the side seam beyond hip level...hmm. A Colette Ginger pencil!!

Popular posts from this blog

A Carhartt-inspired jacket : (modified) McCalls 7638

Carhartt Canvas

Boss Blazer - Pagoda Shoulder Jasika!