Sewaholic Renfrew(s)

This is another pattern than everyone has made, including myself. I have a small pile of fabric that is set aside and marked as "to be made into Renfrews". Its part of my plan to make all of my everyday clothing (excluding drawers) and eventually get rid of my RTW tees (which are aging and getting holes anyway). So, some Renfrews!
Mix and match.

This is a simple knit top pattern with a variety of options for neckline and sleeve length that you can mix and match. I cut a size 6, which is my normal Sewaholic size.  The only adjustment I made was to take about 1" in length out of the bodice after my first version.
Renfrew 1, v-neck:

It's a little long, so I shortened it for next time.
I bought this fabric off of Etsy, and I swear I saw it everywhere this past summer.  It reminds me of cross-bedding (geology!).


There's not a whole lot to say about these - they're easy to make and easy to wear. The band at the bottom makes it look a little nicer than a plain tee, a little more finished.

Version 2, crew neck:

I made this with the leftovers from my Jalie scarf top. I had just enough! Two shirts out of 2 yards of fabric ($20) - not bad.  Its a poly-spandex super soft jersey from Mood.

It's a great pattern for a funky print. When I get compliments on this shirt I feel guilty, because the fabric is really doing all the work!

Version 3, the cowl neck:
I was undecided about this one. I didn't know if it was 'me', so I made a wearable muslin, figuring it would at least be comfy and cozy to wear around the apartment if I didn't love it.
Yes, its wrinkled. Sue me.
I didn't put a band on the bottom hem - actually I did but didn't like it, so I took it off.  I used some poly jersey from Mood fabrics - I didn't have enough, and I thought I could make it fit because I usually can, but those cowls are fabric hogs! So I decided to use black jersey as the inner cowl, and actually liked the effect!
Fabric hog. Those cowls are huge.
In the end I did like the cowl, and will make it again.
So 3 Renfrews, with more to come. I plan on making some without the bottom band, to be tucked in, and I may take it in at the waist for a more fitted look (but I like the relaxed casual fit too).  You could do contrasting neck and arm bands, solids as wardrobe staples, fun prints, whatever.   Easy and good for every day clothes.










Popular posts from this blog

A Carhartt-inspired jacket : (modified) McCalls 7638

Carhartt Canvas

Boss Blazer - Pagoda Shoulder Jasika!