a Colette Myrtle dress

I've been very underwhelmed by new pattern releases lately, and not into the mad rush to buy, sew, and blog things that don't inspire me. So I had no plans to buy this pattern when I heard it was coming out. Then I saw it, decided it had potential, and ordered it. And I happened to have just received and washed some rayon challis, so I decided I was in the mood to sew it on Saturday.
For knits and wovens

I bought this because I love a knit dress, then ended up sewing it in a woven! Whatever.  My fabric is a rayon challis from Fabric.com (I bought it to spend enough for free shipping without any specific plans for it. But I liked the color scheme).
Designer Rayon Challis Speckle Flowers Red/Black
Fabric.com

It is 56" wide and I bought 2 yards; the pattern calls for 2 5/8 yards but I easily made it with 2.
I cut a size S and made version 2, the shorter one.

It is very easy to sew; I cut and sewed it in a few hours, in time to wear it out to dinner! I imagine the knit version is even faster, since you don't have to finish the seams and the back bodice edges.  There's a lot of sandwiching and dealing with multiple layers of fabric, but its very simple to sew. I goofed on the tabs - I was looking at the picture, and it looked like the buttonhole was near the raw edge, so that's how I sewed it, even though in the following picture its clearly the opposite! It's fine, they still function as tabs only you can't see the buttons. I didn't feel like redoing them.  I used 1 1/2" Fantastic Elastic that I trimmed down to ~1". The results:
I like it! At first I thought I didn't love it - there is a lot of ease at the waist that I thought was too much.  But, when the waitress comes by to refill the tortilla chips, its not so bad!
It sort of reminds me of a casual version of this:
V1250
Vogue 1250 DKNY

which I have made.  On me, the Vogue version is more fitted at the waist and only drapes at the cowl. But I digress.
I think it looks sort of retro but not costume-y.
 A better version of the back and the length.
Using 1/4" double-fold bias tape to finish the back bodice:

A close-up of the tabs:
And it is fairly gape-proof:
 At least on me!
Overall I would recommend it. I think it can look good on a lot of body types, and anything that can easily be made in both a knit and a woven is a bonus!


Popular posts from this blog

A Carhartt-inspired jacket : (modified) McCalls 7638

Carhartt Canvas

Boss Blazer - Pagoda Shoulder Jasika!